Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24, 2013


Isaiah 58:4-8

If you fast for condemnations and quarrels, and strike a humble man with your fists, why do you fast to Me as you do today, so your voice may be heard in crying? I did not choose this fast, and such a day for a man to humble his soul; nor if you should bow your neck like a ring and spread sackcloth and ashes under yourself, could you thus call such a fast acceptable. I did not choose such a fast, says the Lord; rather, loose every bond of wrongdoing; untie the knots of violent dealings; cancel the debts of the oppressed; and tear apart every unjust contract. Break your bread for the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house. If you see a naked man, clothe him, nor shall you disregard your offspring in your own household. Then your light shall break forth as the morning, and your healing shall spring forth quickly. Your righteousness shall go before you, and the glory of God shall cover you.

Personal Challenge...

Being a Christian is a verb, not a noun. God does not want me to be a Christian in name only, but to be one in action. He wants me to be active in His world reaching out and helping those in need. And this does not just mean writing a check so that someone else can do it. All the things that I do to practice my Christianity, i.e. studying my Bible, going to church regularly, serving on committees, whatever, are good for nothing if I am not going God's work in His world. This is a very sobering thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment