Saturday, June 15, 2013

June 15, 2013

John 14:12

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."

Command with a Promise...

Okay...it is time to apply a little western logic to this eastern way of thinking. Jesus has departed to be with His Father in heaven. Check! He promised that if I believe in Him that I will do greater works than He did. Check! He demonstrated this promise through the works of the apostles and throughout the history of the church. Check! I say that I believe in Him. Check! And I do great works that exceed those that He did. NOT!

So what is missing here? Was Jesus wrong? Nope! Then the logical conclusion is that I do not believe in Him! Yet I know that I do believe in Him. How is this possible? I think there are two reasons. First, it is the level or intensity in which I believe in Him. As the father of the demon possessed boy said, "I believe, help me in my unbelief." I need Jesus and the Holy Spirit to increase my belief. Second, and most important, is the mode that I am believing in. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He came as a man, and all of the rest of the Nicene Creed. But here is the issue, I believe all of this on the physical, or temporal plane. I am stuck here on earth. I think what Jesus is commanding me to do is to believe on the spiritual plane, in the mystical realm. That is where He resides, that is where I will be given the power that I need to do these great works that will overflow into the physical realm and to live a sinless life. Wow!! What a light bulb moment! It looks like my journey into godliness and righteousness is just now going to begin. Lord Jesus Christ, I believe, help me in my unbelief!!

No comments:

Post a Comment