Friday, August 9, 2013

August 9, 2013

Mark 9:33-34

Then He came to Capernaum. And when He was in the house He asked them, “What was it you disputed among yourselves on the road?” But they kept silent, for on the road they had disputed among themselves who would be the greatest. And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all."

Personal Challenge...

Once again, Jesus cuts to the core of my heart and reminds me where my true place in life is. Because of Him I am a child of God, I have been adopted into His family. Through Him I am a saint, a priest, royalty. However, I am commanded to be a servant, to put others first and myself last. This is so contrary to how the world wants me to operate (as well as my own desires). At work, in our churches, in our homes, we jockey for positions of authority. And when we get there our pride swells up and we begin to lord it over those whom are subordinate to us. This is not what Jesus did. The Creator, the Son of God, became a servant to all. It did not change the fact that He was still royalty, but it did highlight the fact that He loved us dearly and immeasurably. Should I do any less if I truly desire to love and serve Him? I can be elevated to positions of authority and leadership, but for each step of the ladder that I go up I must humble myself all the more to reach the place that I should be in order to be a true servant leader...the bottom of the ladder. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment