Tuesday, October 22, 2013

October 22, 2013

Living a godly life means putting one's self to death!


2 Maccabees 6:24-28a

“For to pretend such things,” he said, “is not worthy of our time of life, lest many of the young should suppose that Eleazar in his ninetieth year has gone over to a foreign religion, and because of my pretense for the sake of living a brief moment longer, they should be led astray through me, while I earn only pollution and defilement in my old age. For even if for the present I should avoid the punishment of men, yet whether I live or die, I shall not escape the hands of the Almighty. Therefore by manfully giving up my life now, I will show myself worthy of my old age, and leave to the young a noble example of how to die a good death willingly and bravely for the venerable and holy laws."

Personal Challenge...

Do I have what it takes to live my life this way? Eleazar, in his 90th year, is being forced to violate the laws of his God that he has adhered to all of his life. He refuses and freely walks to the rack to receive his punishment. Then those who are punishing him offer him an out. He can pretend to the ungodly thing and they will let him go. He has the fortitude, the resolution, the love for his God, to deny this option because in so doing he knows that he will lead many astray. Again he offers to give up his life, which is taken away from him. How often do I chose to compromise my believes in order to save myself, whether it be my image, or to fit in, or for convenience? Am I willing to freely walk into the face of the enemy and suffer the consequences because I am unwilling to compromise my walk with my Lord? Lord Jesus Chris, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment