Friday, October 4, 2013

October 3, 2013

For the wrong reason...


Judith 8:11-13

They came to her, and she said to them, “Listen to me now, rulers of the people of Bethulia! Your words spoken today to the people are not right, nor is the oath you have sworn and pronounced between God and yourselves, promising to surrender the city to our adversaries unless the Lord turns and helps you in so many days.

Now who are you to have put God to the test this day, setting yourselves up as God's equal among the sons of men? You are testing the Lord Almighty, but you will never come to know anything!

Personal Challenge...

The book of Judith is so appropriate to today's living where the truths of God are under constant attack. I would encourage everyone to read it. Here we have a situation where this community is surrounded by the enemy and the prospects do not look good. But rather than proactively do something about it the leaders expect God to take over. Along comes Judith, a widow, who chastises them for putting God to the test. We do not have the right, authority, or power to do that. If I pray this prayer then God will do... If I behave a certain way or do certain things then God will... This is not how God works! Yes, God performs miracles...when He chooses to. Yes, God answers prayers...when He chooses to. I am supposed to be consistent in my behaviors, my practices and traditions, my prayer, fasting, and almsgiving because I am His child and I love doing things His way....not so that He will be my big sugar daddy in the sky. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment