Monday, November 18, 2013

November 18, 2013

Tending the crop of Wisdom...


Wisdom of Sirach 6:18-19 LXX

My son, from your youth up, choose instruction,
And you will find wisdom also into old age.
Come to her as one who plows and sows,
And wait expectantly for her good fruits;
For in her work you will labor a little while,
Then you will quickly eat of her fruit.

Encouraging Words...

I am so thankful that I grew up in a farming culture and as a youth had to work in the family garden as well as summer jobs in the orchards. I hated it when I was young, but as an adult I can look back and see the lessons that it taught me. One is that you must work hard preparing the soil, planting the seeds, pulling the weeds, watering and nurturing the crops in order to receive the fruit of your labor. And that fruit is so much sweeter than something bought at a store or given to you by someone else. It is the same with the pursuit of Wisdom (that which is embodied in Christ). Anything gained easily and without sacrifice quickly looses its flavor, but that which you work for, pursue, and even fight for is so much more valuable. Glory be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment