Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February 4, 2014

Why do we eat the forbidden fruit?


Genesis 3:11-13

Thus He said, “Who said you were naked? Have you eaten from the one tree from which I commanded you not to eat?” Then Adam said, “The woman You gave me, gave me of the tree, and I ate.” So the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

Personal Challenge...

We were created in the image and likeness of God. Not only at the very beginning of mankind with the creation of Adam and Eve, but every time God knits together the fabric of a newly created child He creates that child in the image and likeness of Himself. We are not created with total depravity within us because that is not part of God's image. We are born into a broken and fallen world, and not the Garden of Eden, but nonetheless we are created in His image. Part of that image is the ability to chose between right and wrong, to sin or not to sin. It is possible to make the right choices and not sin. Jesus was fully human. He lived in this fallen world just like all of us. He dealt with trials and tribulations and temptations and desires like all of us. And yet, in all of His humanness He chose not to sin. He lived the perfect human life, the life that all of us were created to live. He is our example.

This passage fascinated me today and led me to consider the teaching of total depravity. Adam chose to eat the fruit that Eve gave him, and then when confronted with His sin blamed it on Eve. Eve blamed her choice on the serpent. Is this not also what the doctrine of total depravity does? Because of it I can say that I can't help myself because of Adam's sin, because of the belief that I am totally depraved. The truth of the matter is that I sin because I choose to, I see the fruit as more attractive than God. If I start here, then my confession and repentance is more real and genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment