Monday, March 3, 2014

March 3, 2014

On our faces before our God!


Lenten Prayer of St. Ephraim

O Lord and Master of my life, do not give to me the spirit of laziness, faintheartedness, lust for power, and idle talk.

But give to me Your servant the spirit of purity, humility, patience, and love.

O Lord and King, grant me to see my own faults and not to judge my brother, for blessed are You unto ages of ages. Amen.

O God, cleanse me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me, a sinner.
O God, cleanse me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me, a sinner.
O God, cleanse me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me, a sinner.
O God, cleanse me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me, a sinner.
O God, cleanse me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me, a sinner.
O God, cleanse me, a sinner. O God, cleanse me, a sinner.

Personal Challenge...

Today is the first day of Great Lent in the Orthodox church. We start this season off with the Canon of St. Andrew as our evening service. This is one of my most favorite services. So often in our Christian church experience we speak of the majesty of our Father in heaven and our need to bow before Him, however we never allow for this in our worship. The Canon of St. Andrew is conducted with the opportunity to perform many prostrations. This service has been so moving in my journey into Orthodoxy. One of the components of this service is the Lenten Prayer of St. Ephraim. This prayer is so powerful, so reaching into the depths of our need for our Lord and when included in the Canon of St. Andrew brings to a place in our worship where we are on our faces before our Almighty and Glorious God.

No comments:

Post a Comment