Monday, March 9, 2015

March 9, 2015

Enduring as a good soldier.


2 Timothy 2:3-4

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

Personal Challenge...

So much of the scriptures are filled with metaphors. Without living in the society where these metaphors are based on everyday occurrences, then their meaning sometimes gets lost, if not at least watered down. If I had been enlisted into an army such as the one that the Romans had then this verse would have meant a lot to me. In order to survive, especially in times of war, I would have to commit 100% of my energy and focus on the affairs at hand and totally ignore the rest of the world around me. In doing this, I would not only survive, but would also please my commanding officer. Being that I am no longer a citizen of this world, and that I have been enlisted in the army of the kingdom of heaven, then it is imperative that my heart, soul, and mind be focused on that kingdom and the defense against the warfare that would attack it. This would mean that I must endure the hardship of the battles for the goal is exceedingly more priceless than where I am today. What a great verse to help us press through Great Lent toward the goal of Pascha (Easter).

No comments:

Post a Comment