Monday, April 6, 2015

April 3, 2015

Death to death and sin.


Colossians 3:5

Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

Personal Challenge

Growing up reading the scriptures I was always taught to ask the question, "What is the "therefore" there for?" when it comes to reading Paul's letters. In verses 1-4, he describes for us the true mysticism of Christians having received Christ's exalted resurrection life in our baptism. Through Christ and His work, death in our lives has been put to death. Therefore, since Christ has put to death death in our lives, this means He has also put to death sin. This means that I too must focus my energies, my desires, on putting to death sin in my life as well. This is the act of asceticism that I am called to participate in throughout the remainder of my life...killing old sinful desires and passions before I act upon them. I can only do this through the power of the Holy Spirt whom I received within me during my baptism and chrismation. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment