Tuesday, May 19, 2015

May 19, 2015

It is the journey, not the destination!


Matthew 22:37-40

Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it:'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."

Personal Challenge

I have found that it is so easy to remind others that these are the two commandments that we must follow while forgetting to follow them myself. Lord, have mercy! It is easy to give the first commandment plenty of lip service and practice it on the surface once or twice a week while at church, but this is not living out this commandment. It is, however, impossible to do the second one without working hard on the first one. It is such a blessing that God is so patient and merciful with me. The second commandment is the one that reveals to me how far I have to go on my journey of theosis. I find myself acting as the young rich man asking Jesus to qualify what He means by "love" and then what He means by "neighbor". But the answers always come back..."unconditionally" and "everybody". Lord, have mercy! As I have often heard and come to believe, "Life is not about the destination, but about the journey!" Thank You, Jesus, for leading me on the path of love for my Father and my neighbor. Lord, have mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment