Monday, May 4, 2015

May 4, 2015

Where is my wisdom coming from
and how am I applying it?


James 3:14-16

But if you have bitter envy and self- seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self- seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there.

Personal Challenge

There is a wisdom that does not come from God. It is based on the things of this earth and essentially demonic. It is so easy to fall into the trap of purporting wisdom without seeking wise counsel or guidance from the godly first. This warning is sandwiched between verse 13, which reminds me to seek counsel from those whose works are done in meekness and humility, and verses 17-18, which teaches me that godly wisdom is pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, and without partiality and hypocrisy. It ends with a reminder that righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. As I observe so much of what is going on in the churches around the world with divisions and bickering, it appears that these actions are based on verses 14-16 and not the other verses. I am moved to look at my own heart and make sure that the wisdom that I desire and pursue, and eventually speak, only comes from above. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment