Wednesday, August 19, 2015

August 18, 2015

Training for the sport that I am in.


1 Corinthians 9:25-27

And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Personal Challenge

My priest is always reminding us, his parishioners, that our lives as Christians is not a sprint, but a marathon. He knows that we can get burned out if we try to become the uber-Christian all at once and not spend the time building up our practices of faith and traditions. We fast so that we can learn to discipline and control our bodies and minds, but we take time learning to fast. We participate in the liturgy and other activities of the church, but not all at once. We learn to love our neighbors, take care of those in need, and give our wealth and other resources, but only after we have learned to be nurtured so that we can nurture others. Another aspect of all of this is that we learn, grow and exercise within the context of what our life is. I do not practice to run a marathon if the sport that I am engaged in is boxing or vice versa. So, if this is the case, then why would I spend most of my time learning and practicing all that a monastic would do if I am married, have a family, and will never be a monastic? I can learn from the saints and fathers that lived out their holiness in their marriages and with their children. Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment