Thursday, September 24, 2015

September 23, 2015

Letting go of my interpretations!


1 Timothy 6:20-21

O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge— by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.

Grace be with you. Amen.

Personal Challenge

Paul challenges Timothy in this letter to remain true to that which has been passed down to him from the previous leaders of the church and that which can be traced back to the Apostles. For those of us who have converted from the practice of sola scriptura and being taught that we, individually, have the right and the authority to interpret the scriptures, there is the lifelong challenge of letting go of our self-gained knowledge and holding on to the teachings that have been handed down from the Fathers. It is my responsibility to apply these teachings and the scriptures to my own life and to have them change my behavior, but not my responsibility to expound on whatever earthly knowledge I have gained. In others words...stay true to the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment