Thursday, September 24, 2015

September 24, 2015

Acknowledgment versus Knowledge


Titus 1:1

Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness,

Personal Challenge

I love the note in the Orthodox Study Bible that accompanies this verse:
Acknowledgment (Gr. epignosis) is deeper than mental knowledge; it is experiential, not theoretical. Knowledge (the truth) and action (godliness) are a unity; knowledge that does not change one's life does not save.
God does not care how much I know about Him, or the Church, or anything else if that knowledge is not being internalized and changing me. God wants me be an active Christian, not just an academic Christian. I must always be careful to not be prideful in the books, blogs, scriptures, or whatever other sources I use to gain knowledge, especially if they are not changing me to be more like Christ. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of god, have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment