Wednesday, November 18, 2015

November 17, 2015

Where do we really put our faith?


John 14:12

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father."

Personal Challenge

What works did Jesus do that I can exceed? He gave up the glories of heaven to become a lowly and despised person in the Roman empire. An empire that was both one of the most affluent societies in the history of mankind and at the same time the one of the most corrupt. He lived a life of a human in the midst of this affluence and corruption. He spoke and taught of loving our neighbor and even our enemy...even to the point of giving up His life for them. He healed the sick, fed the hungry, and spent His time with the outcast and the downtrodden. He was rejected by His society. And He has the audacity to say that if we believe in Him we will do greater works than Him? Actually the audacity resides within us modern people who claim to believe in Him and yet scream out in fear that we must close our borders to the downtrodden, to those who have lost their all, and who have been persecuted by evil. Shame on us for claiming to be a Christian nation and for turning our backs on those in need. My Jesus, my God, weeps when one of His created children perishes without knowing Him or seeing His love for them. Should I not weep as well? Should I not be willing to help a brother or sister in need because I have the ability, the abundance and the blessings to help them? Jesus died so that all of His creation might be saved. Who are we, the "Christians" of the modern, western world, to deny others safe haven and loving open arms? And yes, I know that we take the risk of letting a bad person in as well. Then I must put my trust in God that His love will prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment