Tuesday, January 12, 2016

January 12, 2016

Martha or Mary...Mary or Martha...


Luke 10:41-42

And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."

Personal Challenge

I believe that all of us has a little bit of Martha in us as well as a little bit of Mary. Our disposition in life ultimately comes down to which one we are willing to feed and nurture. Martha gets all caught up in the busy-ness of life, the Lord is coming over to my house and I must make sure that it is spotless and that I have the most awesome meal prepared for Him, and I need to be the hostess with the mostest, etc., etc., etc. None of this is bad in and of itself. But in this process, the Lord comes and goes and Martha has missed the opportunity to sit at His feet and partake of His presence, love, and mercy. Mary, however, abandons all of the cares of the visit and sits at His feet, soaking in every word, every expression, and every moment of having Him available.




Most of my life has been struggling with the Martha in me and trying to live as Mary in the presence of both my Lord and my loved ones, my neighbors. And I know that his will be a struggle until the day I die. I must continue to learn the balance between being responsible with that which has been placed under my stewardship and being present, fully present, with those who are in my life. Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment