Sunday, March 13, 2016

March 13, 2016

PLEASE FORGIVE ME!


Wisdom of Sirach 20:5-7 LXX

There is a man who is silent but is found to be wise,
And there is a man who is hateful because he talks too much.
There is a man who is silent because he has no answer,
And there is a man who is silent because he knows when to speak.
A wise man will keep silent until it is the right time to speak,
But an arrogant and undiscerning man will speak out of turn.

Personal Challenge

As I progress further and further along the journey of my life and try harder to understand the ways of my Lord and who He wants me to be, the less I am becoming interested in politics and the things of this world. This is so because I am not a citizen of this world but an ambassador of another kingdom. I do exercise my responsibilities because as an ambassador I am to be a good representative of my homeland abiding by the laws of the land in which I live. This passage causes me great concern as I survey the decrepit state of our political system as it is today. 
Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

St. Ambrose of Milan stated, "Now what ought we to learn before everything else, but to me silent, that we may be able to speak? Lest my voice should condemn me, before that of another acquit me, it is written: 'By thy words thou shalt be condemned.'" Oh, how much we, as a people who call ourselves a "Christian" nation, have forgotten these teachings and have become so enamored with rhetoric, self aggrandizement, and putdowns of this around us.

Today, as we celebrate forgiveness Sunday in the Eastern Orthodox Church, I ask all whom I know, "Please forgive me for the offenses that I have caused you, especially those from my mouth." Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment