Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 20, 2016

HOT OR COLD, NO LUKEWARM


Wisdom of Sirach 32:14-17 LXX


The man who fears the Lord will receive instruction,
And those who rise early will find His approval.
He who seeks the Law will be filled with it,
But the hypocrite will be made to stumble by it.
Those who fear the Lord will discover judgment,
And like the light they will kindle righteous deeds.
A sinful man will turn aside correction
And find a rationalization according to his will.

Personal Challenge

As Christians, we are called to live our lives in the likeness of Christ at all times. One of the illnesses in our culture today, especially as it has crept into the church, is dualism. I can profess to love Jesus and show that love for Him on Sunday while at church and live like the devil the rest of the week. I can claim to be a follower of Christ, who commands me to love my neighbor, and go throughout my day being hateful and scornful of people that I don't like. I can read my scriptures and proclaim how wonderful they are and then shout praises for leaders, actors, and other people of the world whose very lives and teachings contradict the love of Christ. If I am to truly be a Christian, a follower of Christ and His teachings, then this is an all or nothing commitment. My life can no longer be informed by my Lord, but transformed. My life can no longer by mine, but His. I must stop becoming a Christian and be a Christian. This is why we were promised the Holy Spirit. This is why we receive the Holy Spirit in our chrismation. It is Him dwelling within us that gives us the power to live constantly for Christ. The challenge for me and my free will is to not quench the Holy Spirit and do what He leads me to do. Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment