Sunday, July 17, 2016

July 17, 2016

THE ROOT OF REASONING


Wisdom of Sirach 27:4-7 LXX

When a sieve is shaken, the refuse remains;
So a man's filth remains in the way he reasons.
As a furnace tests a potter's vessels,
So the test of a man is in the way he reasons.
As fruit reveals how a tree is cultivated,
So a man's reasoning process reveals his heart.
Do not praise a man before he reveals the way he reasons,
For this is the way a man is tested.

Personal Challenge

How do I truly reason through things in life? I have never really thought about this until now as I read and meditate on these verses. Do I take the time to examine the situation through the lens of the teaching of the Church or do I just use my own best judgment? What would Jesus say about it? Do I apply that judgement through the lens of loving God and loving my neighbor? I have not really thought that much upon the process of my reasoning, which no one else can see, and how that reflects my relationship with God. One thing is very clear, though, and that is that the root of my reasoning should always be in my Lord. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment