Monday, April 3, 2017

April 3, 2017

WORSHIP, HOW IMPORTANT IS IT?


Tobit 1:6

But I alone traveled frequently to Jerusalem for the feast days, as it is written for all of Israel in an everlasting ordinance. I would carry the firstfruits and the tithes of my harvest and the first-shearing.

Personal Challenge

To bit is one of the apocryphal books of Old Testament that is included in the Septuagint but excluded in later texts. Tobit was amongst some of the Jews of his day that were captured and taken away into exile. He and his kinsmen lived far away from Jerusalem. In this verse, we learn that this distance did not prevent Tobit from sojourning back to Jerusalem on a regular basis to celebrate one of his annual religious events This would have been a long, hard and precarious trip. He would have been in much danger from marauders and thieves along the way because he was bringing with him a year's worth of tithes and offerings. And yet, year after year, be continued to make the journey. It always amazes me that so many people today, many of which who claim to be followers of Christ, find it too difficult to regularly attend worship because it is an inconvenience to get up on Sunday mornings, get the family ready to go and then drive 20 miles to church. Tobit reminds me that nothing should ever come between my Precious Lord and me! Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner and forgive me for those times that I just want to stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment