Wednesday, April 26, 2017

April 26, 2017

FOLLOW HIM?


Luke 5:27-28

After these things He went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he left all, rose up, and followed Him.

Encouraging Words

We often focus on just the fact that Jesus was willing to call upon a tax collector to follow Him. Tax collectors were hated by their fellow Jews. Indeed, it is great news that Jesus would call someone like Levi (Matthew) to follow Him, for this gives me hope that He might be willing to call someone like me to follow Him as well. The other part of this story that is so powerful is Levi's response, He was most likely living a pretty lucrative life because tax collectors were wealthy people. They got their wealth by swindling everyone that the collected taxes from. What is so powerful about this is that Levi dropped everything, left his wealth behind, and followed Jesus, who had no temporal wealth. Would I be willing to do that? Would I be willing to trust, obey, and follow this nomadic Rabbi? Is Jesus that important to me? Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment