Thursday, March 8, 2018

March 7, 2018

DOUBT THAT LEADS TO BELIEF


John 20:25

The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”

So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”

Personal Challenge

Most of my life I heard it taught that Thomas was a bad person for doubting his fellow apostles. But because of Thomas seeking proof, we have had this proof to rely on for our own belief ever since that event. I love how the notes in my study Bible put it...
The doubt of Thomas is described in the Church hymns as “blessed,” for it was not a doubt of resistance to truth, but one that desperately desired a truthful answer—a “doubt which gave birth to faith” when the answer was revealed. In hymns of the Church, Christ says to Thomas, “Your doubt will teach My Passion and Resurrection to all,” and we affirm that his doubt “brought the hearts of believers to knowledge.” The conversion of Thomas' doubt into faith led him to the clearest confession of Christ's divinity, addressing Jesus as my Lord and my God.
Thank you, Thomas, for laying the groundwork for so many of us who have never had the opportunity to see Jesus face to face. Glory be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment