Friday, July 5, 2019

June 28, 2019

AM I A LIAR?


1 John 2:4-6

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

Personal challenge

John does not pull any punches here. If I claim to "know" Christ, to be one of His followers, is there evidence of that in my life? Do I keep His commandments? Do I love God and strive to be like His Son? Do I love my neighbor? How do I love my neighbor? Am I loving, caring, and compassionate toward my family, my friends, those whom I work with or just run into every day? Do I take care of the widow, the orphan, the naked, the poor, the alien (immigrant amongst us)? If I am not doing these things, if I am not expressing God's love in this world that He has placed me, then there is the possibility that my proclamation that I "know" God, is actually a lie, a facade. These are sobering questions to ask, but necessary to keep me focusing on Christ and striving to walk as He walked. A walk that took Him to the cross for all of us. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment