Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12, 2014

What am I doing with my blessings?


Jeremiah 9:23-24

Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, nor let the mighty man boast in his might, nor let the rich man boast in his riches." Instead, let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows that I am the Lord, who shows mercy, judgment, and righteousness on earth, for in these is My will," says the Lord. "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, "that I will visit upon all the circumcised their uncircumcision."

Personal Challenge...

We live in such a blessed and prosperous time and part of the world. It becomes so easy for us to boast in the stuff that we have accumulated...that new car or motorcycle, that new home or second one by the lake or in the mountains, that new boat or other toy, that new promotion at work or position that we serve in...and chalk it all up to being blessed by God. Indeed God does bless us this way at times and sometimes, actually most of the time, it is the outcome of the blessing of when and where we live. Are those people who don't have any of this stuff above any less blessed? What about the 99% of the world that do not have our blessings? Are they any less blessed by God? What do we boast about? What do we put our hope in? What do we value more than God and our neighbor? These are the things that show to God how uncircumcised our circumcision (being set apart) really is. To whom much is given, much is expected. Am I using the blessings that God has given me to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to take care of the widow, the orphan, the poor, and those in need around me? Some day I will stand before my Lord and be expected to answer these questions. Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment