Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January 15, 2014

A diamond in the rough.


Psalm 40:1-3 (39:2-4 LXX)

I waited patiently for the Lord, and He heeded me;
And He heard my supplication,
And brought me up out of a miserable pit
And from miry clay;
And He established my feet on a rock
And kept straight my steps.
He put a new song in my mouth,
A hymn to our God;
Many will see and be afraid,
And shall hope in the Lord.

Encouraging Words...

I love how the psalmist describes our position as human beings here and God's response to that. Since we are created in the image of God we are not totally depraved or dung as some teachings purport. We are God's creation, God's handiwork, stuck in the mire and filth of the fallen world. As I have had it explained to me by my spiritual father, we are diamonds covered in mud and garbage, but nonetheless, diamonds. When we call out to God He rescues us from the mud pit, cleans us off, and begins the process of chipping off the rough spots and shaping us into a shiny, pure, and precious diamond. He fills us with a new song and a new hear that calls out to Him and magnifies His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment