Wednesday, October 3, 2018

September 26, 2018

PROPER DISCIPLINE


1 Corinthians 9:25-27

And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Personal Challenge

As we strive to discipline our bodies and our passions through ascetical practices we must remember that it is not about just doing these things because they are there for us to do. Paul reminds us that we live this life of discipline with purpose and focus. We target those passions and sins that we know we need to take care of. We confess those areas of our lives, read scriptures that guide us through our discipline and do the right kinds of "exercises" to heal that part of our lives. My flight instructor from many years ago told me, "Practice does not make perfect! Perfect practice makes perfect!" Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner and correct my vision and focus!

No comments:

Post a Comment