Thursday, January 28, 2016

January 28, 2016

Giving out of our abundance


Preaching of Peter

"Rich is he that hath mercy on many, and he that, imitating God, giveth of that he hath. For God hath given all things unto all, of his own creatures. Understand then, ye rich, that ye ought to minister, for ye have received more than ye yourselves need. Learn that others lack the things ye have in superfluity. Be ashamed to keep things that belong to others. Imitate the fairness (equality) of God, and no man will be poor."
From John of Damascus, Sacred Parallels, A. 12.

Personal Challenge

The Preaching of Peter is one of the early Christian apocryphal books attributed to Apostle Peter. This piece was quoted by St. John of Damascus and is so appropriate for us today as we enter into another election year and consider various political platforms. It is not my government's responsibility to take care of the poor. It is te Church's responsibility and as a member of the Church, the body of Christ, that makes it my responsibility as well. God has blessed me so greatly. I do not need to keep everything that He has given me. I can give of my resources, my possessions, my time, and my love to those who need it because that is what God did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment