Thursday, August 31, 2017

August 30, 2017

APPLYING THE ROD OF CORRECTION


Proverbs 3:11-12


My son, do not despise the instruction of the Lord,
Neither grow weary under His reproof.
For whom the Lord loves He instructs,
And chastises every son He receives.

Personal Challenge

I remember that while I was a child my parents would discipline me when I got out of line and needed my course corrected. Many times they would say that this hurt them more than it hurt me. As a child, I always felt they said that to make themselves feel better. How could that switch to my bottom be hurting them more than me? Then, as I became an adult and had children of my own, it was my turn to start applying the rod of correction to my own children. That is when I learned what my parents meant. When you love someone as much as you do your child, then having to correct and discipline them at times can be very painful. We correct and discipline out of our love for that child knowing that in the long run, they will be better people because of it. As a child of God, I must expect Him to correct me when I stray from the path that He has me on. Sometimes it is gentle nudges but sometimes it is a serious reproof because I have chosen to go way off course. I do not despise His correction and instruction for I know it hurts Him more than me. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment