Tuesday, April 7, 2015

April 5, 2015

The language that I use.


Colossians 3:8-10

But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,

Personal Challenge

We all have our pet peeves. What we often forget, however, is how we can sometimes, if not often, behave, in the same way, that we don't like others to behave. One that pops out of this list for me is the "filthy language out of your mouth" one. It is not so much that I am concerned about foul language. What bothers me is what I have come to call, "Seinfeld Mouth!" It is that way of speaking in a condescending and diminutive way about someone and then following it up with a flippant, "Just kidding!". Seinfeld perfected the art of put-downs and insults, and now this way of speaking has become pervasive in our culture. Are we not called to be edifying of our fellow man or woman who is created in the image of God? Am I not taught that if I don't have something good to say about someone that I say nothing at all? And then, just as I pick up a stone to throw at these offenders I am reminded that I too judge people. I too am guilty of saying things about others, or worse yet, thinking it. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment