Thursday, August 11, 2016

August 10, 2016

YOU WANT ME TO BE A WHAT?


Titus 1:1

Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness,

Personal Challenge

The concept of being a bondservant is a concept that we are not familiar with today. Here is the note about bondservants from the Orthodox Study Bible...
In the Roman world, a bondservant (Gr. doulos) was in an unenviable position: he had no name, rights, will, or even time of his own. But in the world of the OT, a bondservant was often the king's right-hand man—one of the most honored titles. Moses and other OT prophets were the bondservants of the Lord. Paul, of course, knew of both usages. An apostle, “one sent out,” was a New Covenant equivalent to a bondservant.
Paul had both the old world and the new world definitions in his thoughts when he wrote this letter to Titus. He knew that his life was fully given over to his Lord and that he would do anything or go anywhere for his Lord. As I look at my own life and my desire to be a good Christian, a man after God's own heart, I must admit that I am nowhere near living my life this way. What a goal to strive for. What a journey to launch on. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner,

No comments:

Post a Comment