Monday, April 25, 2016

April 24, 2016

OBEDIENCE: INTENT OR ACTION?


Genesis 22:10-12

Then Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham! Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.” He then replied, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him, for now I know you fear God, since for My sake you have not spared your beloved son.”

Personal Challenge

So often in my life, I have felt that I was not really serving my God unless I was in the midst of doing something, or going somewhere, that made it obvious to everyone what I was doing. My times on mission trips and serving in Haiti after the earthquake come to mind. The problem with this is that if I do not guard my heart and mind these acts of service can also become sources of pride. This event with Abraham and Isaac demonstrates a very important aspect of our relationship with God. He does not need me to drop everything and run off to the mission field to show Him my love for Him and my neighbor. What He wants from me is a love for Him that is so true and that permeates my being so thoroughly that I would do anything for Him if He should ask. He cares more about the intentions of my heart than He does my actions. He wanted to know how much faith Abraham had in his God. When Abraham demonstrated His love and faith, God no longer needed the actions requested. And through that demonstration of love and faith by Abraham, not only was his son spared, but Abraham was blessed with seeing the resurrected Christ standing in the place of his requested, sacrificial son. Glory be to God! The reminder for me is that God wants from me a heart and mind that would drop everything and go anywhere in His service more than He wants me to keep looking for a job "doing" His work. He wants me to be His missionary where He has placed me, in my home, in my church, at my work, and in my community. Serving Him is not about doing what I want to do. I can serve Him where He has me today as well as I can somewhere else around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment